Supervises all maintenance and custodial staff and contract employees. Regularly directs the work of 2 or more employees. Provides role model for maintenance staff by following all company procedures and presenting an appearance appropriate for the image of the property. The activities listed below are not all inclusive; however, they are indicative of the type of activities normally performed by the Maintenance Manager.
This position is eligible for an employee bonus of $1500! Please speak to a Recruiter for further detail.
• Cultivate resident satisfaction and resident retention at the community.
• Prioritize service requests and ensure they are completed within 24 hours.
• Ensure all emergency service requests are completed immediately.
• Conduct follow up calls after service requests to ensure work was completed
• Perform regular inspections of the property.
• Assist in all aspects of the property's maintenance, including grounds, custodial, preventative, corrective, deferred, and emergency maintenance.
• Maintain accurate records regarding preventative maintenance, service requests, expenditures, make-ready status, work in progress, etc.
• Diagnose and perform minor and routine maintenance repair throughout the property on a daily basis.
• Ensure that all make-ready repairs, services, and renovations are completed correctly and on schedule.
• Make sure vacants are turned within 5 days and vacant available units are ready to show.
• Perform 60-day inspection of apartments that are on notice to vacate.
• Meet with Property Manager daily to report on status of all scheduled work, as well as any maintenance issues and recommended solutions.
• Ensure that locks are changed and keys are made.
• Maintain the apartment turn schedule.
• Maintain record of types and frequency of service requests received.
• Maximize curb appeal and presentation.
• Ensure all equipment and tools are in excellent condition.
• Maintain a safe work environment.
• Conduct regularly scheduled safety meetings with entire staff; maintain and
communicate HAZCOM standards.
• Instruct staff on proper use and guidelines for wearing safety items.
• Keep MSDS sheets current and readily accessible.
• Maintain thorough knowledge of pertinent laws and EPA and OSHA regulations governing property storage and management of hazardous materials.
• Keep maintenance shop clean, orderly and safe (according to the established OSHA standards).
• Be aware of the condition of the physical property throughout the community and immediately correct any unsafe condition.
• Keep emergency equipment and supply list items stocked and readily accessible for use. Anticipate potential for emergency situations and plan accordingly.
• Establishes emergency maintenance on-call schedule, and posts and distributes emergency telephone numbers.
• Identify all utility meter cut-offs, apartment and fixture cut-offs, and sewer cleanouts; prepare map indicating location of each.
• Adhere to and monitor keys/locks in accordance with key control policies.
• If applicable, ensure company vehicle is maintained and operated in accordance with the Fleet Program.
• Assist in approving and monitoring vendors/contractors to include work scheduling, billings, vendor relations, and obtaining certificates of insurance.
• Ensure all capital improvements and repairs are completed correctly and on schedule.
• Maintain warranty paperwork for appliances, etc.
• Maintain adequate inventory of spare parts and maintenance materials to handle most common repairs and situations.
• Utilize most cost-effective approach with purchase of materials and use of vendors, suppliers, and contractors.
• Look for creative ways to reduce spending and waste.
• Establish daily work schedule for maintenance staff.
• Oversee and inspect work performed by staff, ensuring such meets company and resident standards.
• Develop a responsive, skilled team through effective hiring, training, and supervision.
• Instill strong customer service ethic and ensure technical proficiency.
• Handle employee complaints and grievances.
• Assist Property Manager in completing staff performance evaluations and participate in employee reviews.
Typical Duties of a Maintenance Manager
• Maintain integrity of work order log.
• Prepare coding of maintenance bills.
• Solicit maintenance contracts for review with Manager.
• Supervise timeliness and quality of work by Maintenance Technicians.
• Acknowledge any unusual repairs requiring special attention.
• Develop vendor contracts and obtain competitive bids.
• Maintain sufficient inventory of needed supplies.
• Place orders for maintenance supplies and services.
• Look for areas to reduce operations cost.
• Handle entire property inspection.
• Conduct a monthly safety meeting with maintenance and custodial staff to include contract custodians.
• Provide budget information.
• Develop and revise preventative maintenance contracts.
• Coordinate coverage for weekends and holidays.
• Conduct periodic inventory checks.
• Attend training classes/maintenance meetings.
• Assist in performance evaluation (of subordinates) process.
• Assist in budget preparation.
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
• At least 2 years of experience working residential maintenance at an apartment community, hotel, resort, or similar environment.
• Previous supervisory experience is required.
• CFC Certification (type II or universal) is required.
• Training and proficiency in electrical and plumbing.
• For properties with a central plant, the Maintenance Manager should have successfully completed an approved course on boiler maintenance and chiller maintenance.
• For properties with individual HVAC units, the Maintenance Manager should have successfully completed an approved course appropriate to that type of equipment.
• Proficiency with MS Office; particularly Outlook, Excel, Word and Internet Explorer.
· Respect, honesty, and integrity
· Professional presentation
· Calm under pressure
· Passion for service
· Strong work ethic
· Commitment to teamwork
· Adept at listening to others
· Dependability and adaptability
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.