The Assistant Maintenance Manager partners with the Maintenance Manager to lead the maintenance team at an apartment community. They lead by example by performing all the duties normally performed by a Maintenance Technician including being on call.
These are typical duties that the Assistant Maintenance Manager must be prepared to assume:
• Supervises all maintenance and custodial staff and contract employees
• Prioritizes service requests
• Establishes daily work schedules for maintenance staff
• Follows up on work assignments for efficient, thorough completion
• Maintains record of types and frequency of service requests received
• Establishes emergency maintenance on-ca11 schedule, and posts and distributes emergency telephone numbers
• Prepares inventory of equipment, tools and supplies
• Purchases supplies, equipment and services within budgeted guidelines
• Performs regular inspections of the property
• Notifies Property and Maintenance Manager of maintenance problems and recommends solutions
• Assists in preparation of all maintenance related records
• Meets with Property and Maintenance Manager daily to report on status of all scheduled work
• Oversees move-in and move-out procedures
• Makes recommendations for contract services and supervises contract maintenance workers
• Trains new maintenance staff workers
• Establishes preventative maintenance schedule
• Maintains updated preventive maintenance information/smoke detector log/preventive maintenance log (i.e., location of extra parts for appliances, equipment serial numbers and service telephone numbers)
• Knows current condition of all vacant apartments
• Holds regular instruction classes for maintenance staff
• Keeps maintenance shop clean, orderly and safe (according to the established OSHA standards)
• Provides role model for maintenance staff by following all company procedures and presenting an appearance appropriate for the image of the property
• Insures all locks are re-keyed after a resident move out
• Maintains MSDS book(s)
• Maintains warranty paperwork for appliances, etc
• Performs 60-day inspection of apartments that have given notice to vacate
• Insures all make-readies are complete within a reasonable time frame to reduce vacancy loss
• Insures all service requests are completed within 24 hours
• Insures all emergency service requests are completed immediately
• Requires all staff to be trained in OSHA guidelines
• Reports all rules and regulations violations to the Property Manager
• Assists in the development of the Property Emergency Response Plan to include locating all utility disconnects and valves, etc.
• Obtains thorough knowledge of power, water and gas turnoffs, clean-out traps, fire extinguishers and fire hydrants
• Assists in all aspects of the property's maintenance, including grounds, custodial, preventive, corrective, deferred and emergency maintenance
• Maintains exterior and public lighting
• Clears gutters and downspouts
• Repairs structural wear and damage to buildings
• Insures that parking areas, sidewalks, alleyways, hallways and common areas are kept clean.
• Prepares vacant apartments
• Paints as needed
• Services appliances, equipment, plumbing, electrical systems, etc
• Re-keys locks
• Maintains all HVAC equipment
• Clear snow and ice using hand and power tools
• Performs limited extermination in accordance with appropriate laws
• Perform landscaping tasks such as planting flowers, trimming and cutting trees.
• May have to be on-call after hours
• High school diploma or general education degree (GED).
• At least 2 years of experience working residential maintenance at an apartment community, hotel, resort, or similar environment.
• CFC Certification (type II or universal) is required.
• Previous supervisory experience is preferred.
• Training and proficiency in electrical and plumbing.
• For properties with a central plant, the Maintenance Manager should have successfully completed an approved course on boiler maintenance and chiller maintenance.
• For properties with individual HVAC units, the Maintenance Manager should have successfully completed an approved course appropriate to that type of equipment.
• Proficiency with MS Office; particularly Outlook, Excel, Word and Internet Explorer.
· Respect, honesty, and integrity
· Professional presentation
· Calm under pressure
· Passion for service
· Strong work ethic
· Commitment to teamwork
· Adept at listening to others
· Dependability and adaptability
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.