Education, Certificates, Licenses and Registrations:
- High School Diploma or General Equivalency Diploma (GED) is required
- Possess and maintain a current license as a Class Three Steam Boiler Engineer (at minimum) from the District of Columbia Department of Consumer and Regulatory Affairs Occupational and Professional Licensing Administration, or equivalent licensing acceptable to the Company
- Specific licensure in another building-related trade is desired, but not required
- Certification as a CFC Universal Technician from an US EPA-approved program is required
- Building Owners & Management Institute International's (BOMI) Systems Maintenance Technician (SMT) or higher designation is preferred
- General Facility Operations/Maintenance/Repair Experience: Four or more years of experience within the disciplines of stationary engineering, HVAC, plumbing, electrical, fire protection, other mechanical systems and/or general building/facilities maintenance
- Specialized Experience: Two or more years in mechanical operations maintaining boilers, chillers and HVAC systems (large commercial/residential facilities preferred)
- Experience processing service requests and/or preventive maintenance requests with a computerized maintenance management system is preferred
- Familiarity with the operation of building automation systems is preferred
- Ability to troubleshoot, diagnose and repair mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems, controls and components using appropriate tools
- Ability to evacuate refrigeration systems, perform refrigeration leak tests, recover refrigerant and replace refrigerant system components following the current state and federal regulatory requirements for service and repair practices of refrigeration systems and components
- Ability to read construction documents, blue prints, pneumatic mechanical and/or electric control drawings
- General knowledge of safe work practices & OSHA regulations, OSHA 30 training is preferred
- General capability with the operation of a PC and mobile communication devices, including Internet browsers
- Supervises the work of subordinate employees as assigned
- Ability to efficiently manage time and supplies
- Ability to coach, mentor and train colleagues on technical knowledge and skills
- Analytical skills: collects, interprets, organizes and evaluates detailed data
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment, proactively contributes ideas to improve operations
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills, able to effectively articulate instructions and directions to others and perform intermediate arithmetic calculations
- Provide an effective means for contact after normal working hours and be able to respond to urgent building issues
- Exercises good judgment, uses discretion, and quickly follows through and follows up with a keen attention to detail to resolve issues
- Ability to work effectively under pressure, manage concurrent tasks with multiple deadlines, flexible, versatile and quickly adapt to rapidly changing priorities
- Maintains a composed, friendly demeanor; professional appearance; possesses effective interpersonal relationship skills, and the ability to communicate in a confident, positive, professional manner to customers, employees, visitors, and vendors
- Self-directed, self-motivated, demonstrates initiative, and possesses a strong desire and ability to learn and understand
- Must be reliable, punctual, dependable with excellent attendance, and have schedule flexibility to respond to callbacks and work overtime as required to meet business needs
The physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to talk or hear, stand, sit, walk, use hands to finger, handle or feel, reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to taste or smell, and lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Special vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions to the extent the Company may do so without undue hardship.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is subject to extremes of temperature while working in mechanical rooms or with outdoors. The employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), work near moving mechanical parts, high voltage electricity with risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to work in high precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, and extremes of outdoor weather conditions and temperatures. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud and occasionally requires the use of hearing protection equipment.
JBG SMITH is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without discrimination on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, genetic information or any other protected class, in accordance with applicable law.